I love soup and stews all year long but they have a certain luster in the fall and winter. This smoky lentil stew with leeks and potatoes (vegan) is my latest stew recipe and it is so good.
This stew is full of protein because it has lentils and farro. It is also so easy to make and made in one pot.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It is made with healthy ingredients and is vegan, gluten free and dairy free.
- It high in plant protein and full of veggies and fiber.
- No extensive cleanup for this recipe, it is made in one pot.
Ingredients for smoky lentil stew
- celery - Celery adds veggies and flavor.
- leeks - Leeks add a distinctive flavor to the soup
- garlic cloves - Garlic is a must have.
- potatoes - Potatoes add texture and heartiness to the stew.
- basil - Basil adds fresh herby flavor.
- brown lentils - Brown lentils add protein.
- farro - Farro adds protein and texture.
- vegetable broth - Vegetable broth is our base.
- marinara sauce - Marinara adds flavor.
- balsamic - Balsamic adds acidity and rich umami flavor.
- lemon - Lemon adds acidity.
- liquid smoke - This is a must for rich smoky flavor.
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions for making lentil leek and potato stew
Step 1: Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add garlic, leeks and celery. Cook for about 8 minutes or until veggies have started to get translucent.
Step 2: Add all remaining ingredients to the pot. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until everything else is cooked through.
Step 3: Serve
- Farro- can be subbed with rice
- Dried thyme - can be subbed with italian seasoning or oregano
One big soup pot.
A good quality vegetable broth is key for the best tasting soup. I love pacific foods or trader joes brand broth. Kettle and fire is also good but expensive.
Frequently asked questions
Leeks are long and tubular, they also have a more subtle onion flavor.
Yes! Potatoes are full of vitamins, minerals and fiber.
I get mine from Whole Foods, I know for a fact Amazon also carries it.
Storage instructions for lentil and farro stew with leeks and potatoes
This stew can be stored in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 5 or so days.
Other stew and soup recipes to try
If you make this Smoky Lentil Stew with Leeks and Potatoes (vegan), please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
Smoky Lentil Stew with Leeks and Potatoes (vegan)
- 4 stalks celery - finely chopped
- 2 leeks - separated from green stalks and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 4 cups diced potatoes - from 3-4 red potatoes
- ½ cup basil - finely chopped
- ½ cup brown lentils
- ½ cup farro
- 4-6 cups vegetable broth adjust to your thickness preference, I used 5 cups
- ½ cup marinara sauce could subbed crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- juice from ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke this gives the smoky flavor
- 1-2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- pinch cayenne or red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add garlic, leeks and celery. Cook for about 8 minutes or until veggies have started to get translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until everything is cooked through.
- Let cool and dig in.