I have never been a huge risotto fan, only because it would always leave me hangry within an hour because of the lack of protein. I came up with the perfect solution to this - lentils. Brown lentils cook in the same amount of time as white rice so they are the perfect addition to risotto. This Vegan High Protein Mushroom Lentil Risotto is a high protein and satisfying risotto recipe.
This vegan mushroom lentil risotto is a play on classic risotto, but with much more protein and substance than your standard risotto. It is made in one pot and comes together in less than 40 minutes with plenty of leftovers, making it a perfect meal prep option. The most annoying part of this risotto is making sure the rice and lentils do not stick to the pan, so make sure to stir often. In addition, this is a perfect plant based main course for the holidays, I made it for my family last Christmas and it was a huge hit.
This dish is flavorful and rich, despite being made with fairly simple ingredients. It is packed with veggies like mushrooms and kale, making it a nutrient dense vegan dish. Rosemary adds aromatic flavor to this recipe and makes it taste like Christmas. Miso is one of my favorite ingredients to add umami flavor, and it really brings together the flavors in this risotto.
What ingredients do I need for this risotto?
- soy sauce
- balsamic vinegar
- aribo rice
- brown lentils
- nutritional yeast
- miso paste
- vegetable or mushroom broth
Other yummy plant based recipes:
If you try this Vegan High Protein Mushroom Lentil Risotto, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. Also, tag me on Instagram so I can repost you.
vegan high protein mushroom lentil risotto
- ~3 cups finely chopped mushrooms I used a combination of shikate and baby bella
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce or aminos
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 shallot - finely chopped
- ½ cup arborio rice
- ½ cup brown lentils
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste or sub aminos or soy sauce
- ~1-3 sprigs finely chopped fresh rosemary or ~½-1 tablespoon dried rosemary adjust to your preference
- 4 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- salt/pepper to taste
- ~3 cups finely chopped kale
- Heat oil or butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add mushrooms, soy sauce and balsamic. Cook for about 6 minutes or until the mushrooms are softened. Remove mushrooms from pot and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pot along with the garlic and shallot. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add rice, lentils, yeast, lemon juice, miso, rosemary and ½ cup of broth. Cook until the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally so the lentils and rice do not stick to the bottom of the pot. Continue adding ½ cup of broth at a time(while stirring to prevent sticking), letting the risotto absorb most of the liquid before adding more. Total cooking time will be about 35 minutes, or until rice and lentils have softened.
- Once risotto is done cooking, add kale and stir until wilted. Add back in mushrooms and stir until combined. Let cool and serve.