I have never been a huge risotto fan, only because it would always leave me hangry within an hour because of the lack of protein. I came up with the perfect solution to this - lentils. Brown lentils cook in the same amount of time as white rice so they are the perfect addition to risotto. This Vegan High Protein Mushroom Lentil Risotto is a high protein and satisfying risotto recipe.
This vegan mushroom lentil risotto is a play on classic risotto, but with much more protein and substance than your standard risotto. It is made in one pot and comes together in less than 40 minutes with plenty of leftovers, making it a perfect meal prep option. The most annoying part of this risotto is making sure the rice and lentils do not stick to the pan, so make sure to stir often. In addition, this is a perfect plant based main course for the holidays, I made it for my family last Christmas and it was a huge hit.
This dish is flavorful and rich, despite being made with fairly simple ingredients. It is packed with veggies like mushrooms and kale, making it a nutrient dense vegan dish. Rosemary adds aromatic flavor to this recipe and makes it taste like Christmas. Miso is one of my favorite ingredients to add umami flavor, and it really brings together the flavors in this risotto.
What ingredients do I need for this risotto?
- soy sauce
- balsamic vinegar
- aribo rice
- brown lentils
- nutritional yeast
- miso paste
- vegetable or mushroom broth
Other yummy plant based recipes:
If you try this Vegan High Protein Mushroom Lentil Risotto, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. Also, tag me on Instagram so I can repost you.Print
Vegan High Protein Mushroom Lentil Risotto
This vegan high protein mushroom lentil risotto is the perfect healthy dinner recipe.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: italian
- Diet: Vegan
This makes 4-5 servings
- ~3 cups finely chopped mushrooms (I used a combination of shikate and baby bella)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or aminos
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 shallot - finely chopped
- ½ cup arborio rice
- ½ cup brown lentils
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp white miso paste (or sub aminos or soy sauce)
- ~3-4 sprigs finely chopped fresh rosemary or ~1 tablespoon dried rosemary (adjust to your preference)
- 4 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- salt/pepper to taste
- ~3 cups finely chopped kale
- Heat oil or butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add mushrooms, soy sauce and balsamic. Cook for about 6 minutes or until the mushrooms are softened. Remove mushrooms from pot and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pot along with the garlic and shallot. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add rice, lentils, yeast, lemon juice, miso, rosemary and ½ cup of broth. Cook until the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally so the lentils and rice do not stick to the bottom of the pot. Continue adding ½ cup of broth at a time(while stirring to prevent sticking), letting the risotto absorb most of the liquid before adding more. Total cooking time will be about 35 minutes, or until rice and lentils have softened.
- Once risotto is done cooking, add kale and stir until wilted. Add back in mushrooms and stir until combined. Let cool and serve.
This makes 4-5 servings of risotto depending on how hungry you are.
Keywords: lentil mushroom risotto, risotto, high protein vegan risotto
Amanda Jansen van Rensburg
So delicious! My first attempt at risotto and my husband absolutely loved it!!! I highlighted recommend this recipe… I accidentally made the mushrooms a little small but still the taste was heavenly ?
thank you amanda!
I love this receptor! It has so much flavor and it’s really fun to make. It also makes you you feel really satisfied!!
I really recommend it
Made this recipe for the first time last night and will definitely be making it again! The flavor was amazing and the ingredients were simple which I love. Excited to make this again and try out other recipes.
This recipe was amazing! Obsessed with it, I definitely want to make it again! Thank you so much 🙂
I love love looooove this recipe! Never would've thought of cooking mushrooms in balsamic vinegar and soy sauce but man it really opens up a whole new angle to umami-ing mushrooms! Have made this several times and it's always amazing! 😍
Thank you Denise!
Sooo delicious! Could eat this every day! ??
I loved it! Made it for my husband and added a few scrap veggies from the Lunar New Year. It went so well with sweet permission and sour dough bread with a ricotta spread. (I'm sorry, I am not vegan). I should lay off on the lemon next time as it was a bit sour for my husband. Great recipe and will make it again when I get a new mushroom.
A new favourite! Really unique and harmonious flavours. Love it!
I really loved this recipe! It’s more then a basic risotto, the lentils and the mushrooms really add to it
Loved this recipe!! We aren’t completely vegan but we keep the meat (fish & chicken) to a minimum. I workout a lot & always need high protein meals so when I saw this I knew I needed to make it & I’m glad I did.. Husband hates kale & kept telling me to stop as I was adding it but I didn’t listen. He went back for seconds ?… I can’t wait to try more of her recipes!!
Absolutely delicious and a must try, very unique flavours and yummy
Thanks for trying Taran!
This recipe is really delicious! I love the addition of lentils. Perfect meal for a fall evening.