Eggplant is my least favorite vegetable. 99% of the time I will not eat it and would rather leave it out of recipes. Ratatouille typically features eggplant, but I like it much better without it. Hence why this chickpea ratatouille is sans eggplant. We are reaching the end of summer and I am so sad about it but this Vegan Chickpea Ratatouille Without Eggplant is a great way to use up the rest of the summer produce.
This chickpea ratatouille is a super easy ratatouille recipe. All you need is one pot and less than 15 ingredients. Chickpeas are not typically included in ratatouille but I added them in for extra plant protein. This recipe makes a few servings so it would also be a great meal prep option.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's is a one pot recipe - meaning it is super easy to make
- Eggplant haters rejoice, this ratatouille does not have any!
- It is vegan, vegetarian, higher in protein and gluten free!
- bell pepper
- red pepper flakes
- nutritional yeast
- tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
Add vegetables to the pan and cook.
Add all remaining ingredients to the pan and simmer.
Serve with your favorite toppings and sides and dig in!
Store the extra ratatouille in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 2 days.
Is this recipe traditional?
This is not a traditional ratatouille recipe, but it is inspired by ratatouille.
- Chickpeas - can be subbed with white beans
- Basil - can be subbed with parsley
Other easy vegan recipes to try
If you make this Vegan Chickpea Ratatouille Without Eggplant let me know what you think in the comments!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!Print
Chickpea Ratatouille Without Eggplant
This Chickpea Ratatouille Without Eggplant is a delicious vegan ratatouille recipe.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: french
- Diet: Vegan
This makes 2-3 servings
- ½ onion - finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 zucchini - diced
- 1 red bell pepper - diced
- 1 cup basil - finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano or thyme
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes or 2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 1 can chickpeas - drained
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, zucchini and pepper to the pan. Cook for 5 more minutes. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 or so minutes, until everything is cooked through.
- Serve ratatouille with toasted sourdough or your favorite grain.
This makes 2-3 servings
Keywords: Chickpea Ratatouille Without Eggplant
I knew this acc bc tiktok and i immediately follow the insta acc.
I love this tipe of recipes bc are vegan and i made them to my family so they know new dishes of food that can be meet free and delicious.
THIS RECIPE is so easy and it isn’t boring. I would add this recipe to my dairy diet✨?
Amazing meal and very easy to prepare for everybody. You don't have to be real chef to prepare this amazing ratatouille. Buy all ingredients and start magic of home cooking.
Is it a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce?
Yes! Thank you for mentioning that I will update the recipe
Such an easy and VERY tasty recipe! This was my first time making ratatouille of any sort, and it definitely won't be my last. I loved how fresh, fragrant, and colorful this recipe was. It also was super simple, which made everything taste even better. The ratatouille left me feeling full and satisfied. I'm excited to use this recipe for my lunch meal prep this week!
In the instructions, it says:
"Add garlic, zucchini and pepper to the pan. Cook for 5 more minutes. Add all remaining ingredients except Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 or so minutes, until everything is cooked through."
That was a typo from a previous version of the recipe, it is now fixed!