High Protein Butternut Squash Soup with Cottage Cheese - a delicious fall or winter soup. This soup is so good and simple to make, plus it is creamy and high in protein. It is ready in 30 or so minutes but most of that time is hands off as it is a sheet pan soup.
Why you'll love this recipe
It is easy to make and made on a sheet pan and your blender.
It is vegetarian, gluten free and can be made vegan.
Thanks to the cottage cheese this soup is creamy and higher in protein.
It is perfect the perfect healthy fall or winter dinner.
- butternut squash
- olive oil
- maple syrup
- vegetable broth
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Sweet potato - can be subbed with butternut squash.
- Feta - can be subbed with goat cheese.
- Rosemary - can be subbed with thyme.
Roast squash, shallot and garlic.
Blend together soup.
Serve with your favorite toppings and sides.
You can store the extra soup in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Use a good quality cottage cheese for the best tasting soup, I like Good Culture cottage cheese.
You just need a blender for this recipe. I love my vitamix 7500 series.
No, cottage cheese has dairy so it is vegetarian.
Yes you could sub in 1 block of silken tofu.
No, just wash off any dirt and you are good to go.
Other soups and stews to try
If you make this High Protein Butternut Squash Soup with Cottage Cheese, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me! Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get my latest recipes straight to your inbox.
High Protein Butternut Squash Soup with Cottage Cheese
- 1 butternut squash - cubed medium sized
- 1 small shallot - peeled
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 quart vegetable broth you can sub any broth you like here
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add squash, garlic, and shallot to a nonstick sheet pan or one lined with parchment paper. Coat in oil and desired amount of salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes and then removed the garlic. Add shallot and squash back to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Add shallot, garlic and squash to a blender and blend with the rest of the soup ingredients until smooth.