High Protein Chickpea Enchilada Soup with Greek Yogurt - a delicious fall soup. This is in no way a traditional recipe, but this soup is kind of like a deconstructed enchilada. It is rich in protein thanks to the greek yogurt and chickpeas. It is also super easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes.
Why you'll love this recipe
It is easy to make and ready in 30 minutes or less.
It is vegetarian, gluten free and can be made vegan.
Thanks to the greek yogurt and chickpeas this recipe is high in protein.
It is perfect the perfect healthy fall dinner with chips.
- yellow onion - Onions are a must for flavor.
- garlic - Garlic is a must for flavor.
- green bell pepper - Green bell pepper adds veggies and flavor.
- poblano pepper - Poblano pepper adds spice and flavor.
- enchilada sauce - Enchilada sauce makes this soup taste like enchiladas.
- chickpeas - Chickpeas add protein.
- frozen corn - Frozen corn adds a little sweetness and texture to the soup.
- cumin - Cumin adds spice and flavor to the soup.
- chili powder - Cumin adds spice and flavor to the soup.
- cilantro - Cilantro adds fresh herby flavor.
- vegetable broth - Vegetable broth thins out the soup.
- greek yogurt - Greek yogurt adds creaminess and protein to the soup.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Greek yogurt- can be subbed with coconut yogurt or sour cream.
- Cilantro - can be subbed with parsley.
- Vegetable broth - you can use any broth here.
- Enchilada sauce - green salsa can be subbed here.
Cook peppers, onions and garlic.
Add all ingredients except for yogurt to pot and simmer.
Temper greek yogurt with 2 cups of soup.
Mix yogurt mixture back in with the soup, divide out and serve.
You can store the extra soup in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Greek yogurt with a higher fat content will make for a creamier soup. Personally I love Stonyfield Organic Grass Fed greek yogurt.
Yes, just sub in vegan yogurt for greek yogurt. I recommend unsweetened coconut milk yogurt for this as it is the thickest.
Greek yogurt and chickpeas provide lots of vegetarian protein in this soup.
This prevents the yogurt from curdling.
Other soups and stews to try
If you make these High Protein Chickpea Enchilada Soup with Greek Yogurt, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me! Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get my latest recipes straight to your inbox.
High Protein Chickpea Enchilada Soup with Greek Yogurt
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 green bell pepper sub your another color bell pepper
- 1 poblano pepper sub another bell pepper if desired
- 1 15 ounce jar or packet enchilada sauce
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 cup frozen corn I like fire roasted
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch cilantro - finely chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup greek yogurt sub vegan yogurt
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add pepper and garlic to the pot and cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Add all ingredients to the pot except for the yogurt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-20 more minutes. The longer the better for flavor but 10 minutes is just fine.
- Turn off heat. Transfer about 2 cups of soup (try to get mostly liquid) to a bowl. Add in greek yogurt and whisk until smooth. Add greek yogurt mixture back to the pot and mix.
- Divide out soup and serve. I love to eat this soup with crush tortilla chips.