Winter is in full swing and I have been craving all of the healthy soup recipes. This vegan butternut squash tomato soup with cashews is my latest soup recipe and it is so good.
This soup is packed with flavor and made with simple ingredients. The flavor of butternut squash and tomato together is divine. This soup is very easy to make, all you do is simmer the ingredients on your stove top and then blend in your blender. Of course it is also vegan and gets its creaminess from cashews. Overall, this is a must make recipe!
Let's get into the recipe.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It is gluten free, dairy free, egg free and plant based.
- Thanks to the cashews it is full of healthy fats.
- It is easy to make and made in your stove top and blender.
- It is made with healthier for you ingredients.
- The butternut squash and tomato combination makes this soup so flavorful.
Ingredients for vegan butternut squash and tomato soup with thyme and rosemary
- butternut squash
- vegetable broth
- nutritional yeast
See recipe card for quantities.
Step 1: Add onion and garlic to pot and cook until softened.
Step 2: Add remaining ingredients to pot and simmer until cooked through.
Step 2: Add ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Step 3: Serve.
- cashews - can be subbed with hemp seeds or ¼ cup tahini
- butternut squash - can be subbed with another squash like kabocha or delicata
- Nutritional yeast - can be subbed with miso
I used my vitamix 7500 blender for this and I love it. You can use any blender you like for this.
Storage instructions for creamy vegan butternut squash and tomato soup without coconut milk
The leftover soup can be stored in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Often times yes, but this one uses cashews instead for creaminess.
My favorite way to make a creamy and dairy less soup is with cashews.
For the most flavorful soup use a good quality veggie broth that you love the taste of. I personally enjoy Pacific Foods.
Other vegan soups to try
If you make this Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Tomato Soup with Cashews, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
vegan creamy butternut squash tomato soup with cashews
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 small butternut squash - cubed about 2 ½ cups
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 sprig fresh thyme sub 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary sub 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 18 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast sub with miso paste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot. Cover pot and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until squash has softened.
- Transfer soup to a blender (or use an immersion blender) blend until smooth.
- Divide out soup and serve with your favorite sides and toppings. I like to dip toasted sourdough in mine