The Texas weather has been very out of character lately. Even though it is only November, it has been in the 30s and raining. This weather has me craving all the healthy soup recipes and my latest creation is this Vegan Japanese Sweet Potato Soup with Spinach and Rosemary.
Let's get into the recipe.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It is easy to make - it is just roasted and then made in your blender
- It is healthy for you and full of veggies, fats, fiber and protein.
- Thanks to the hemp seeds this soup is creamy without coconut milk or cashews.
- japanese sweet potato
- vegetable broth
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions for making roasted sweet potato spinach soup
Step 1: Roast sweet potatoes, shallots and garlic.
Step 2: Add all soup ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Step 3: Serve soup and enjoy.
- Japanese sweet potato- can be subbed with regular sweet potato
- Rosemary- can be subbed with thyme
- Hemp seeds- can be subbed with cashews
I love my vitamix blender, but any blender works
Storage instructions for japanese sweet potato miso soup
The leftover filling can be stored in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 3 days. Then you can heat up the shells and make the tacos as you please.
Japanese sweet potatoes have white flesh. They are slightly starchier and sweeter than regular sweet potatoes.
Miso paste is made from fermented soy beans.
Spinach is a nutrient powerhouse that is high in iron, vitamin c and magnesium (among others).
Hemp seeds are a great sub for cashews and coconut milk. They make soups so creamy and add protein!
Miso paste really makes this recipe, miso paste can be found at many grocery stores in the refrigerated section. If you are having trouble locating it try an asian grocery store.
I love fresh rosemary in this soup but you can use dried or sub in your favorite herb.
Other healthy plant based soup recipes to try
Try this spinach soup by my friend Maxine!
If you make this Japanese Sweet Potato Soup with Spinach and Rosemary, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
Japanese Sweet Potato Soup with spinach and rosemary
- 1 large japanese sweet potato - diced
- 1 shallot - quartered
- 4 garlic cloves - peeled
- 4 sprigs rosemary - finely chopped sub ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons miso can sub 1 tablespoon soy sauce or additional salt
- 1 generous handful baby spinach about a cup
- juice from ½ lemon
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add sweet potato, shallots and garlic to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Lightly coat sweet potatoes in oil, a pinch salt and pepper, and rosemary.
- Roast sweet potato, shallots and garlic for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Serve with your favorite sides. I went with toasted bread.