Sweet potatoes are so good in baked goods. I love the sweet fall flavor they add. These Sweet Potato Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars (vegan and healthy) are a delicious way to utilize sweet potatoes in baking.
These bars are so easy to make, you just need one bowl and no mixer is required. They are also made with healthier ingredients and less sugar than most desserts.
Let's get into the recipe.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It easy to make and made in one bowl.
- Thanks to wholesome ingredients like oats, oat flour and almond butter these bars are healthy for you.
- It is plant based, vegan, gluten free and dairy free.
- It is full of healthy fats and fiber.
Ingredients for sweet potato chocolate chip bars
- sweet potato
- coconut sugar
- maple syrup
- almond butter
- plant milk
- coconut oil
- oat flour
- rolled oats
- chocolate chips
- baking powder
See recipe card for quantities.
1.) Add all wet ingredients to a bowl and mix. Pour in dry ingredients and mix. Lastly fold in chocolate chips.
2.) Add batter to an 8x8 baking dish lined with parchment paper.
3.) Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
4.) Let cool, slice and enjoy.
- Almond butter - can be subbed with another nut or seed butter. I do not recommend using tahini because it is too liquidy.
- Chocolate chips - You can omit chocolate chips or sub them with nuts
- Maple syrup - can be subbed with honey
- Coconut sugar - could be subbed with brown sugar.
- Oat flour - I do not recommend subbing the oats or flour.
- Sweet potato - could be subbed with banana or pumpkin but of course than these would not be sweet potato bars.
- Flax eggs - can be subbed with real eggs.
The extra bars can be stored in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 4 days or you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
Oats are naturally gluten free, however some oats can be cross contaminated. If you have celiac make sure to buy certified gluten free oats.
Sweet potatoes are considered a low glycemic food thanks to the fiber they have.
A flax egg is a vegan egg substitute made with ground flax seeds and water.
Make sure you let the bars cool before cutting into them. Otherwise they will be crumbly. Letting them cool lets the ingredients set.
I don't suggest using canned sweet potato because it will be very watery.
Other healthy treats to try
If you make these Sweet Potato Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars (vegan and healthy), please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
Sweet Potato Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars (vegan and healthy)
- 2 flax eggs 2 tablespoon ground flax seeds + 5 tablespoons water
- ½ cup mashed and cooked sweet potato
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup plant milk
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 ¼ cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- ¾-1 cup chocolate chips
- Make your flax eggs by mixing flax with water. Let sit for at least 5 minutes until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all wet ingredients to a bowl and mix until just combined. Pour in dry ingredients except for chocolate chips. Mix again until just combined. Lastly fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour dough and spread evenly into an 8x8 baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Bake bars for 20-28 minutes. I baked mine for 25 minutes, a knife should come out mostly clean when finished cooking.
- Let bars cool for 15 minutes, slice and enjoy. Store the leftover bars in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 5 days, or in your freezer for months.