High Protein Butternut Squash Cottage Cheese Pasta - a delicious vegetarian pasta recipe. Cottage cheese makes this pasta so creamy. This is a cottage cheese recipe for cottage cheese haters. The cottage cheese gets blender up and makes this pasta creamy and delicious.
If you're looking for another sneaky cottage cheese recipe you need to try my cottage cheese tomato soup.
Why you'll love this recipe
It is easy to make and ready in less than 40 minutes.
It is vegetarian, and can be made gluten free.
Thanks to the cottage cheese this recipe is high in protein.
- Butternut Squash - This makes our sauce taste like fall!
- Pasta Water - This thins the sauce and makes it silky.
- Broth - This adds flavor to the sauce.
- Garlic - Garlic up-levels any sauce it is added to!
- Cottage cheese - This adds protein to our sauce.
- Parmesan - This adds flavor to the sauce.
- Basil - This adds fresh herby flavor to cut through the richness of the sauce.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Parmesan - This could be omitted or subbed with feta.
- Basil - This can be subbed with parsley.
- Cottage cheese - I believe you could sub this with cashews to make the pasta vegan but you will probably want to add in some nutritional yeast.
Roast your butternut squash and garlic.
Blend together sauce.
Toss sauce with pasta and other ingredients. Serve and enjoy!
You can store the extra pasta in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 3 days.
If you are vegetarian make sure to get vegetarian parmesan, some are made with rennet which is not vegetarian!
Use a good quality cottage cheese for the best tasting pasta sauce. I love good culture.
Yes cottage cheese is made from dairy.
Yes, butternut squash is full of vitamins and fiber.
Cottage cheese adds protein and so does the parmesan.
Other vegetarian dinner recipes
If you make this High Protein Butternut Squash Cottage Cheese Pasta, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get my latest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
High Protein Butternut Squash Cottage Cheese Pasta
- 1 small butternut squash - roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon oil
- to taste salt
- black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup reserved pasta water make sure this is heavily salted
- ½ cup vegetable broth + more if you want your sauce thinner.
- ½ cup shredded parmesan
- ½ cup basil - finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add butternut squash and garlic to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Toss in salt, pepper and garlic powder. Roast for 30 minutes, removing the garlic after 15-20 minutes. The garlic will be soft when it is done cooking, we don't want to burn the garlic.
- Add cooked butternut squash and garlic to a blender along with vegetable broth, pasta water and cottage cheese. Blend until smooth.
- Toss sauce with pasta, parmesan and basil.
- Divide out and serve.