Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos - a delicious vegetarian taco recipe. The beans and cheese make these tacos high in vegetarian protein. The combination of the sweet potato, gooey cheese and spicy jalapeño is to die for.
Why you'll love this recipe
Thanks to the sweet potato and jalapeño these tacos are the perfect combination of sweet and spicy.
It is vegetarian and can be made vegan and gluten free.
Thanks to the beans this recipe is high in protein.
It is perfect the perfect healthy dinner.
- garlic - Garlic is a must have.
- spices - Cumin, chili powder and chipotle give these tacos the best flavor.
- sweet potato - Sweet potato adds veggies to these tacos.
- cheese - Cheese adds gooey flavor and helps bind these tacos.
- cilantro - Cilantro adds fresh herby flavor.
- black beans - White beans are the protein source for this recipe.
- jalapeño - Jalapeño adds spice.
- taco shells - I prefer flour tortillas but corn also works.
- lime - Lime adds acidity.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- parsley - can be subbed with any herb you like, basil would be great in this.
- cheddar cheese - any cheese works here including vegan.
- black beans - pinto beans would be a good substitute.
Mix together taco filling.
Add filling to tacos and bake.
Serve and enjoy!
You can store the extra tacos in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat the tacos microwave them for 30 seconds or bake them at 400 for 5-10 minutes. I prefer baking because this helps to crisp up the tacos.
I prefer to use flour tortilla for this recipe as they get crispier in my opinion, however if you are gluten free corn also works.
Yes, you can use vegan cheese.
Black beans are rich in plant-based protein, fiber, and antioxidants that can assist with managing blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol levels.
This depends on the taco shell you choose to use. Corn tortillas are gluten free but flour are not.
Other taco recipes to try
If you make these Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me! Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get my latest recipes delivered to your inbox every week.
Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- 1 cup cooked + mashed sweet potato*
- 1 can black beans
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- juice from ½ lime
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese sub cheese of choice
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½-1 jalapeno
- 5-6 taco shells
- greek yogurt or sour cream for topping optional
- salsa for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add all filling ingredients to a bowl and mix until combined.
- Warm taco shells. Add taco shells to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a nonstick sheet pan. Add 2-3 tablespoons of filling to each shell. Fold tacos over and flip so the filling side is on the top. This is crucial to keep the tacos closed.
- Bake tacos for 20-30 minutes, flipping once halfway through. You want the shells to be browned and crisp.