These Crispy Baked Barbecue Chickpea Tacos are the best veggie taco recipe. The barbecue sauce tastes so good with the cheddar cheese and avocado crema. Even a meat eater will love this recipe, the chickpeas add protein and make this recipe satiating.
Why you'll love this recipe
It is easy to make.
It is the perfect veggie taco recipe.
The tacos get so crispy in the oven and the scallion avocado crema is to die for.
The recipe is vegetarian, high protein, and can be made vegan or gluten free.
Add all filling to skillet and cook.
Mashed chickpea filling.
Add filling to tacos and bake.
Blend together crema and serve with tacos. Dig in!
- bell pepper
- chili powder
- barbecue sauce
You can store the extra tacos in the fridge for up to 1 day. Please note they will lose their crisp, to crisp them back up you can throw them in the oven for 5-10 more minutes.
You just need a cutting board and some bowls for this recipe.
Are these tacos vegan?
If you omit the cheese or sub it with vegan cheese than yes these tacos are vegan.
- Cilantro - Cilantro - can be subbed with parsley.
- Chickpeas - Chickpeas can be subbed with black beans.
- Cheddar cheese - You can sub vegan cheese, or your favorite cheese. Additionally you could leave out the cheese.
Other veggie taco recipes
If you make this Crispy Baked Barbecue Chickpea Tacos, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you
Crispy Baked Barbecue Chickpea Tacos
- ½ onion - finely chopped
- 1 large bell pepper - thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- salt/pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 bunch cilantro - finely chopped
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 can chickpeas - drained
- juice from ½ lime
- +~½ block shredded cheddar cheese sub vegan
- +6 taco shells of choice
Scallion Avocado Crema
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup unsweetened vegan or regular yogurt
- 3 scallions
- pinch salt/pepper
- juice from ½ lime
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add all remaining filling ingredients to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Turn off heat, using a potato masher mash bean mixture until mixture starts to bind together.
- Warm the taco shells in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. They should be soft and bendable. Add taco shells to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. To each shell add 2-3 tablespoons of bean mixture. Top with cheese and fold close. To make sure the taco shells stay closed, carefully flip the taco shells so the bean mixture is on the top half.
- Bake tacos for 10-15 minutes, flip and then bake for another 10-15 minutes. Let cool.
- Add all crema ingredients to a processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve tacos with crema and dig in.