Crispy Baked Smashed Eggplant Parmesan - the eggplant recipe that you need in your life. This is a perfect recipe for eggplant haters. I personally do not like eggplant but this recipe will convert over any eggplant hater.
Smashing veggies is a great way to get them nice and crispy. I have several smashed veggie recipes on my blog - I love them!
Why you'll love this recipe
It is easy to make.
It is the perfect healthy vegetarian side dish.
The recipe is vegetarian, and gluten free.
- eggplant - Eggplant is the base for the smashing.
- oil - I like avocado oil for this recipe.
- parmesan - This helps make the eggplant crispy.
- garlic powder - This adds extra flavor to our recipe.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- basil - can be subbed with parsley
Boil eggplant slices until softened.
Smash eggplants with the bottom of a jar or cup.
Coat eggplants in oil, parmesan, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Serve with your favorite sides and toppings.
Use a good quality parmesan, I like
Make sure to thoroughly pat dry the eggplant to get rid of excess moisture.
You can store the extra eggplant in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 1 day. They will lose their crisp as time goes on.
Smashing increases the surface area and allows the veggies to get super crispy.
Eggplant is full of vitamins, minerals and fiber.
Smashing and baking eggplant makes it taste delicious.
Other veggie sides
If you make this Crispy Baked Smashed Eggplant Parmesan, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me! Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
Crispy Baked Smashed Eggplant Parmesan
- 4 small eggplants - cut into ½ inch thick rounds
- 2-4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add eggplants to a pot of salted boiling water and boil for 5-6 minutes, you want the eggplants to be mashable.
- Pat egg plants dry with a paper towel and add to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Smash eggplants with the bottom of a jar or glass. Pat off any moisture that is released.
- Coat eggplants in oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Top each eggplant with a coating of parmesan.
- Bake eggplant rounds for 30-40 minutes, until crisp. Let cool and serve alone or with marinara sauce for dipping.