Sweet Potato and White Bean Stew with Harissa and Tahini (vegan)
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables. They are something that I buy every single week and eat almost every day. This Sweet Potato and White Bean Stew with Harissa and Tahini (vegan) is a great way to utilize sweet potatoes.
This soup is easy to make and made in one pot. It also has plenty of protein thanks to 2 cans of white beans. It is packed with extra veggies like green beans and parsley.
Let's get into the recipe.
This vegan sweet potato and white bean stew is
- easy to make
- packed with veggies, protein and fiber
- healthy for you
- vegan, gluten free and plant based
What do I need to make a sweet potato and white bean stew?
- sweet potato
- green beans
- white beans
- vegetable broth
- crushed tomatoes
- soy sauce
- maple syrup
- apple cider vinegar
How do I store the leftovers?
The leftover stew can be stored in an airtight container in your fridge for 4-5 days.
What can I substitute in this recipe?
- white beans can be subbed with any beans
- parsley can be subbed with another herb
- harissa paste can be subbed with tomato paste, although this will change the flavor
- soy sauce can be subbed with miso or omitted
- apple cider vinegar can be subbed with lemon or another culinary vinegar
Other plant based stew and soup recipes to try
If you make this Sweet Potato and White Bean Stew with Harissa and Tahini (vegan), please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me.
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
This makes 3-4 servings of stew
- 1 yellow/sweet onion - finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 cups diced sweet potato - from one small sweet potato
- 2 cups chopped green beans (can be frozen or fresh, I used fresh)
- 1 bunch parsley - finely chopped
- 2 cans white beans - drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 1 ~18 oz jar crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- ½ tbsp soy sauce (can omit but add more salt)
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or another culinary vinegar
- ¼ cup tahini (optional but adds creaminess)
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat with oil. Add onions and cook for 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot except for tahini. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes until sweet potatoes and green beans are cooked through.
- Once soup is done cooking, stir in tahini.
- Divide out soup and serve with your favorite toppings and sides. I recommend using toasted bread.