Cottage Cheese Mashed Potatoes (high protein) - the perfect fall veggie side dish. The cottage cheese makes these potatoes SO fluffy. It also makes them less caloric than your standard mashed potato recipes. Plus, the cottage cheese also adds protein. So good you need to try these!
Why you'll love this recipe
It is easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes.
The cottage cheese makes these potatoes so fluffy and high in protein.
It is vegetarian and gluten free.
It is the perfect veggie side and goes so well with any protein.
Ingredients for healthy mashed potatoes
- potatoes - I like yukon gold potatoes.
- garlic - Garlic is a must for mashed potatoes.
- cottage cheese - Cottage cheese adds protein and creaminess.
- milk - Any milk works here, I used almond milk.
- butter - A touch of butter adds rich flavor to these potatoes.
- chives - I like to top my potatoes with chives for extra flavor.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- cottage cheese - I think cream cheese work work here but I have not tried.
- chives - Parsley would be a good sub here.
- yukon gold potatoes - I believe you could sub russet potatoes but since these are bigger you would probably only need 7.
Boil potatoes and garlic.
Blend together cottage cheese.
Mash potatoes with a potato masher.
Mix in cottage cheese.
Top with chives and serve.
You need a potato masher for this recipe. I do not suggest trying to mash the potatoes without a masher.
You can store the extra potatoes in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 4 days.
Use a good quality cottage cheese for the best tasting mashed potatoes. I love Good Culture cottage cheese.
Make sure your potatoes are cooked completely through, otherwise the potatoes will not mashed properly.
Yes! Cottage cheese adds protein to the mashed potatoes and makes them so creamy and fluffy.
Yes! They are full of fiber and minerals.
Yes. Cottage cheese is packed with protein and b vitamins.
Other veggie sides to try
If you make this Cottage Cheese Mashed Potatoes (high protein), please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me! Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get my latest recipes delivered to your inbox.
Cottage Cheese Mashed Potatoes (high protein)
- 10 yukon gold potatoes cut any large ones in half
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½-1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons milk of choice I used almond
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 bunch chives - finely chopped optional
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Add potatoes and garlic to a pot of boiling water along with 1 tablespoon salt. Remove garlic after about 15 minutes. Cook potatoes for 20-25 minutes total, until they are fork tender.
- Add garlic, milk and cottage cheese to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add butter and potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher until desired texture is achieved. Pour cottage cheese mixture over potatoes and mix in. Top with chives and serve.