Cinnamon Cake with Coconut Sugar Frosting
It was my boyfriends birthday recently, and I think I was more excited than he was because I had an excuse to make a birthday cake! He loves cinnamon so this cinnamon cake with coconut sugar frosting is perfect. It makes a great portion that is not too huge for two people, but it could also serve up to 9 people. The frosting is refined sugar free and a basic buttercream recipe that is made in a blender for ease.
I am so pleased with out this cake turned out! You would never know that the based is gluten free and made with healthy flours. The texture is fluffy and out of this world. This cake also has some great healthy fats, so it won't spike your blood sugar too much. I also love making frosting out of coconut sugar because of the subtle maple flavor.
The cake portion can be made in one bowl - no beater necessary! Most of the ingredients are things you probably already have on hand. All in it takes about an hour or less to make. If you wanted, you could use a premade frosting to make this recipe even easier!
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think in the comments!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 5 tbsp water)
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup milk (I used soy)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tablespoon oat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder/starch or cornstarch
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ½ tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Make your flax eggs by mixing flax and water. Set aside refrigerated for 10-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together your wet ingredients until smooth. Pour in dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into a lined or greased 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake cake for 35-40 minutes. Let cool completely, for about 30 minutes.
- Add coconut sugar to a high powered blender. Blend until powdered. Add in remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Spread icing on cake. Let icing set on the cake for 10-20 minutes in the refrigerator.
SO moist and good! Can’t believe it’s gluten free and vegan! My fiancé loved it and he is normally anti gluten free/vegan baked goods since they’re usually dry. I will make this over and over again!
12/10 seriously the best vegan cake I've had! It's soo fluffy & made with such simple ingredients. Completely gluten & dairy free too!! I replaced the apple sauce with roasted sweet potato & it turned out amazing. Thanks for the great recipe!!
Just made this cake for my bday since I am gluten free and vegan.. OMG It’s so good.. 10/10 recommend. Taste caramel like with the coconut sugar. TO DIE FOR.