There were 3 bananas sitting on my counter quickly approaching rotten and I knew I needed to find a use for them. Initially I gravitated towards banana bread, but I decided to mix it up. Since I also had dates I thought of the idea to make a cake with a date frosting, and boy is it good. This Vegan Salted Caramel Chocolate Banana Cake (gluten free) tastes so good it is hard to believe that it is vegan with minimal added sugar.
To make this cake all you have to do is mix together your wet ingredients, pour in your dry ingredients and mix again. I do recommend mixing together your dry ingredients first so everything gets nice and combined. Then pour the mixture into a lined baking dish and bake. Then the frosting is made in your food processor. So easy, no hand mixer required.
I don't suggest making many subs to this recipe. Every component is important to the taste and texture of this cake. However, the almond butter can be subbed for any nut butter, and the maple syrup could be swapped for honey if you eat honey.
I made this cake as healthy as possible without affecting taste. The cake has minimal added sugar, with just a little maple syrup. The frosting has 0 added sugar and is sweetened with dates. If you wanted to have 0 added sugar in this recipe the maple syrup could be subbed out with milk. All of the healthy fats and fiber in this recipe from the oat flour, almond flour and nut butters help balance out the sugar. You can eat a slice of this cake and not feel like you need a nap after.
This vegan salted caramel cake is
- gluten free
- easy to make
- made with healthier ingredients
- maple sweetened
- refined sugar free
- made with oat and almond flour
What ingredients do I need to make a vegan salted caramel cake?
- flax seeds
- plant milk
- maple syrup
- apple cider vinegar
- oat flour
- almond flour
- arrowroot starch
- baking powder
- almond butter
- coconut oil
- plant milk
- sea salt
How do I make a gluten free and vegan chocolate banana cake?
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Make your flax eggs
- Mix together your wet ingredients. Pour in dry ingredients and mix again.
- Pour batter into a baking dish lined with parchment paper. Bake.
- Add all of your frosting ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Let cake cool and top with frosting.
Substitutions for this banana cake recipe
- maple syrup can be subbed for honey or another liquid sweetener
- almond butter can be subbed with cashew butter or peanut butter
Other vegan cakes to try:
If you try this Vegan Salted Caramel Chocolate Banana Cake (gluten free) please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!Print
Vegan Salted Caramel Chocolate Banana Cake
This vegan salted caramel chocolate banana cake is the perfect healthier cake.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 tbsp ground flax + 5 tablespoon water (2 flax eggs)
- 3 mashed spotty bananas
- 2 tbsp oil of choice
- ½ cup plant milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups oat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch/powder or cornstarch
- ¼ cup cacao
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 12 juicy medjool dates (soak in water for 15 minutes if they are hard)
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp plant milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- pinch sea salt (for dusting on top, I like maldon flaky but you can use any)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Make your flax eggs by mixing flax and water. Let sit refrigerated for 10-30 minutes.
- Make your cake. Mix together dry ingredients and set aside. Mix together all wet ingredients including your flax eggs. Pour in dry ingredients and mix.
- Pour batter into a lined 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a fork comes out clean.
- Now make your icing. Combine all frosting ingredients in a processor or blender. Blend on high until smooth, scraping down the edges occasionally.
- After cake has cooled, spread icing on top. Dust with sea salt. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to let the icing set. Cut into squares and enjoy.