Vegan Southwest Sweet Potato Black Bean Soup
Now that it is fall and getting colder every day I have been making all of the soup. Basically Avocado Skillet is now a soup blog and not just a plant based food blog. This vegan southwest sweet potato black bean soup is my latest soup recipe.
This soup is cozy and perfect for those cooler days. All of the spices in this soup really warm it up too. The sweet potato also pairs so well with the spices as well. Black beans are the protein source in this soup, and sweet potato and black beans are a classic combination.
This soup is very easy to make. Like all soups you basically just throw all the ingredients in a pot and let it cook through. I recommend using an instant pot for extra ease but I included instructions for both. I like to partially blend my soup to get a smoother texture but this is optional.
This soup is incredibly healthy for you. The spices add anti inflammatory properties - perfect for cold and flu season. Sweet potato, kale and jalapeno pack in vitamins like C, A and K. Plus, this soup has tons of fiber for a healthy gut.
I hope you try this vegan southwest sweet potato black bean soup, it is the perfect fall soup. If you do try it, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. Also, give me a tag on Instagram so I can repost you!
This makes 5-6 servings of soup
- 1 jalapeno - finely chopped with seeds removed
- 1 red onion - finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 3 stalks celery - finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato - diced
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro (sub parsley if you don't like cilantro)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups chopped kale
- Heat oil in a soup pot or instant pot over medium heat. Add the first 4 ingredients and cook for 6 minutes. If using your instant pot use the sautee function for 6 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for kale. Stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. If you are using your instant pot cook for 15 minutes on high pressure and do a natural release.
- Optional: 3-4 cups of your soup to a blender(or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth. Mix the blended soup back in with the rest of the soup. This gives it a great texture!
- Add in kale to your soup and stir until wilted.
- Let soup cool and serve with your favorite toppings. I love crushed tortilla chips and coconut yogurt
Leave a Reply