Mushrooms are a controversial food. You either love them or hate them. Personally I love them, they are one of my favorite things to eat. Especially shiitake mushrooms, yum. These sticky sesame shiitake mushrooms are perfect for a mushroom lover and can probably convert over a mushroom hater!
These sticky shiitake sesame mushrooms are made in one pan with limited ingredients. It is one of those meals that is so simple that it is surprising how flavorful it is. The mushrooms are cooked in sesame oil and then coated in a sauce with sesame oil so that flavor really shines through.
Mushrooms are actually a complete protein which is rare for a plant protein. If you want to pump up the protein in this meal top it with hemp seeds or sesame seeds. Quinoa is also a good high protein side. Broccoli is a great fresh side that pairs so well with the sesame flavor.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It is vegan, gluten free, healthy and plant based
- If you don't like tofu, this is a great vegan recipe without any
- The sticky sauce is full of flavor
- This recipe is perfect for a mushroom lover and will convert over any mushroom hater
- shiitake mushrooms
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
- culinary vinegar
- tomato paste
- maple syrup
- arrowroot or cornstarch
Add mushrooms and garlic to a pan and cook for 5 minutes.
Mix together sauce.
Cook together mushrooms with sauce.
Serve mushrooms with your favorite toppings and sides.
Can I make this without the starch?
No, the starch makes the sauce sticky.
- shiitake mushrooms - can be subbed with baby bella mushrooms
- rice vinegar - can be subbed with apple cider vinegar
Other healthy vegan recipes to try
These mushrooms go great with my crispy tofu recipe.
If you make these sticky sesame shiitake mushrooms, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
sticky sesame shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms about 18-20 mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- pinch salt/pepper
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- cooked rice or quinoa
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons cilantro
- Heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add garlic, spices and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- While mushrooms are cooking, make your sauce. Mix together sauce ingredients until fully combined
- Pour sauce over mushrooms and fully combine sauce with mushrooms. Cook for 5-8 minutes until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Serve mushrooms with sides and toppings of choice. I went with rice, sesame seeds and cilantro.