Mushrooms are a controversial food. You either love them or hate them. Personally I love them, they are one of my favorite things to eat. Especially shiitake mushrooms, yum. These sticky sesame shiitake mushrooms are perfect for a mushroom lover and can probably convert over a mushroom hater!
These sticky shiitake sesame mushrooms are made in one pan with limited ingredients. It is one of those meals that is so simple that it is surprising how flavorful it is. The mushrooms are cooked in sesame oil and then coated in a sauce with sesame oil so that flavor really shines through.
Mushrooms are actually a complete protein which is rare for a plant protein. If you want to pump up the protein in this meal top it with hemp seeds or sesame seeds. Quinoa is also a good high protein side. Broccoli is a great fresh side that pairs so well with the sesame flavor.
These sticky sesame mushrooms are
- vegan, gluten free and plant based
- a great vegan recipe without tofu
- healthy for you
- full of flavor
- perfect for a mushroom lover
What ingredients do I need to make sticky mushrooms?
- shiitake mushrooms
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
- culinary vinegar
- tomato paste
- maple syrup
- arrowroot or cornstarch
Other healthy vegan recipes to try
- sticky hot honey cauliflower and chickpeas
- vegan chickpea ratatouille
- vegan high protein mushroom lentil risotto
If you make these sticky sesame shiitake mushrooms, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!Print
Sticky Sesame Shiitake Mushrooms
These sticky sesame shiitake mushrooms are a perfect healthy meal idea.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20 minutes
This makes 1-2 servings
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2-3 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms (about 15-20 mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- pinch salt/pepper
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp culinary vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
+optional sides: quinoa and broccoli
+optional toppings: sesame seeds and chopped cilantro or parsley
- Heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- While mushrooms are cooking, make your sauce. Mix together sauce ingredients until fully combined
- Pour sauce over mushrooms and fully combine sauce with mushrooms. Cook for 5-8 minutes until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Serve mushrooms with sides and toppings of choice. I went with broccoli, quinoa, sesame and cilantro.