Vegan Cabbage Soup with Miso and Farro
Whenever I want an extremely nutrient dense meal I gravitate towards soup. Soup is so easy to pack in all of the healing veggies and herbs. Cabbage soup in particular is perfect when you need a reset after not eating well or if you are under the weather. This Vegan Cabbage Soup with Miso and Farro is a delicious cabbage soup recipe that is perfect for fall.
This vegan cabbage soup uses a combination of lentils and chickpeas for protein. I added both because I like the texture that they add. Besides cabbage this soup packs veggies like carrots, celery and fresh herbs. Since cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable, this soup has cleansing properties and is good for your gut. It is extremely flavorful and the ingredients are simple. I often get questions about what the miso paste can be subbed for - if you can not find miso paste feel free to use soy sauce or extra salt.
I always make this recipe in my instant pot because, convenience. However I have tested it stovetop and left the instructions for both in case you don't have one. Regardless of which method you use, this is an easy one pot meal. Since this recipe makes 6 servings it is a perfect meal prep option.
Other vegan soups to try:
If you make this Vegan Cabbage Soup with Miso and Farro, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 30 minutes
This makes 5-6 servings of soup
- ½ onion- finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery- finely chopped
- ½ cabbage head or 1 very small cabbage - finely chopped
- 3 carrots - finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 4 Cloves Garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon Miso paste (can sub soy sauce or extra salt)
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 (32 Oz ) Boxes Veg Broth
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp italian seasoning blend
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley (Can sub basil or whatever herb you have)
- 1 Can Chickpeas
- ½ Cup dried Red Lentils or dried farro (I have made it both ways and it is delicious either way)
- Heat oil over medium heat add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Sautee for 6 minutes. If using instant pot use saute function for 6 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until everything is cooked through. If using instant pot cook at high pressure for 10 minutes and do a natural release for 5 minutes.
- Let soup cool fully and then enjoy with toasted bread.