I am obsessed with soup and stew. It is my favorite thing to make and perfect for the colder weather. My latest stew recipe is this Gochujang Chickpea and Rice Stew with kale.
This stew is spicy and so flavorful. I combined the spicy asian flavors of korean gochujang paste with warming herbs of thyme and rosemary. Chickpeas provide protein and rice adds healthy carbs. This stew is so good and perfect for meal prep because it makes multiple servings that can be kept for days.
Let's get into the recipe.
These vegan chickpea tomato stew with thyme and rosemary is
- gluten free, dairy free, egg free and plant based
- perfect for the colder weather
- made in one pot
- easy to make
- made with healthier for you ingredients
- high in protein
- full of veggies and fiber
Ingredients for caesar oyster mushroom chickpea burrito
- vegetable broth
- crushed tomatoes
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions for healthy high protein vegan stew
Step 1: Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery to a pot and cook until softened.
Step 2: Simmer all ingredients except for kale and rice.
Step 3: Add kale and rice to pot and stir until kale is wilted.
Step 4: Serve soup.
- Rice wine vinegar- can be subbed with any culinary vinegar
- Gochujang- can be subbed with harissa
You just need a big soup pot and your stove for this recipe.
Storage instructions for spicy chickpea stew
The leftover stew can be stored in a sealed container in your fridge for 4-5 days.
Other healthy plant based stews to try
If you make this Gochujang Chickpea and Rice Stew with Kale, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost youPrint
Gochujang Chickpea and Rice Stew with Kale
This gochujang chickpea and rice stew with Kale is a delicious stew recipe.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: american
This makes 3-4 servings of stew
- ½ onion - finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery - finely chopped
- 1 carrot - finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 cans chickpeas - drained
- 1 ½ tablespoon gochujang paste
- ½ tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (from about 1 sprig, sub 1 tsp dried)
- ½ tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary (from about 1 sprig, sub 1 tsp dried)
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 18 ounce jar of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 head kale - leaves removed and finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- salt/pepper to taste
- Heat a splash of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, celery and carrots to the pot. Cook for 8 minutes until the veggies have softened.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot except for kale and rice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 more minutes.
- Add kale and rice to the pot and stir until the kale is wilted.
- Let soup cool and serve.
Keywords: stew, chickpea and rice stew, chickpea gochujang stew
This stew is warm and comforting and all you could want from a recipe!
Had this last night and it was the perfect comfort food!
So tasty and hearty! And just the right amount of spice with the gochujang. Will definitely be making this again.
Thanks for trying Carly!