I am obsessed with soup and stew. It is my favorite thing to make and perfect for the colder weather. My latest stew recipe is this Gochujang Chickpea and Rice Stew with kale.
This stew is spicy and so flavorful. I combined the spicy asian flavors of korean gochujang paste with warming herbs of thyme and rosemary. Chickpeas provide protein and rice adds healthy carbs. This stew is so good and perfect for meal prep because it makes multiple servings that can be kept for days.
Let's get into the recipe.
Why you'll love this vegan chickpea tomato stew with thyme and rosemary
- It is gluten free, dairy free, egg free and plant based.
- It is perfect for the colder weather
- No extensive cook time or clean up for this recipe - it is easy to make and made in one pot.
- It is made with healthier for you ingredients and high in protein and fiber.
- You'll get in your veggies for the day, this recipe is packed with them!
- vegetable broth
- crushed tomatoes
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions for healthy high protein vegan stew
Step 1: Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery to a pot and cook until softened.
Step 2: Simmer all ingredients except for kale and rice.
Step 3: Add kale and rice to pot and stir until kale is wilted.
Step 4: Serve soup.
- Rice wine vinegar- can be subbed with any culinary vinegar
- Gochujang- can be subbed with harissa
You just need a big soup pot and your stove for this recipe.
Storage instructions for spicy chickpea stew
The leftover stew can be stored in a sealed container in your fridge for 4-5 days.
Yes, chickpeas have a high amount of plant protein. If you pair them with rice they become a plant protein.
The longer you simmer the soup the more flavor it will have but 15 minutes it perfectly fine.
Everyone has different salt level preferences so make sure to taste and add salt as needed.
Other healthy plant based stews to try
If you make this Gochujang Chickpea and Rice Stew with Kale, please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you
gochujang chickpea and rice stew with Kale
- ½ onion - finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery - finely chopped
- 1 carrot - finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 cans chickpeas - drained
- 1 ½ tablespoon gochujang paste
- ½ tablespoon fresh thyme leaves from about 1 sprig, sub 1 teaspoon dried
- ½ tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary from about 1 sprig, sub 1 teaspoon dried
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 18 ounce jar of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 head kale - leaves removed and finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Heat a splash of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, celery and carrots to the pot. Cook for 8 minutes until the veggies have softened.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot except for kale and rice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 more minutes.
- Add kale and rice to the pot and stir until the kale is wilted.
- Let soup cool and serve.