French Onion Cottage Cheese Dip (gluten free, high protein) - the perfect healthy dip recipe. If you are skeptical of cottage cheese, you need to try it in a dip. The cottage cheese is blended which gets rid of the lumpy texture. I love sneaking in cottage cheese to recipes because it adds a protein punch. The most time consuming part of this recipe is caramelizing the onions, but trust me it is well worth it!
Why you'll love this recipe
It's full of flavor thanks to the caramelized onions.
This dip is perfect for a healthy side dish or snack.
This recipe is healthy, vegetarian, and gluten free.
Cottage cheese makes this recipe rich in protein.
Cook onions until caramelized.
Blend together cottage cheese, yogurt and spices.
Mix together all dip ingredients in bowl.
- cottage cheese
- garlic powder
The extra dip can be stored in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 4 days.
You just need a skillet for this recipe.
Is french onion dip gluten free?
French onion dip is usually gluten free and this recipe is gluten free.
What does cottage cheese taste like?
Cottage cheese has a salty and cheesy flavor similar to ricotta.
Can I make this dairy free?
You could try subbing out the cottage cheese for vegan cream cheese but I have not tried this yet.
Is this french onion dip healthy?
Yes! This dip uses good for you ingredients like yogurt and cottage cheese so it is much higher in protein and lower in fat than your run of the mill french onion dip.
- avocado oil- can be subbed with butter
Other healthy dip recipes
If you make this French Onion Cottage Cheese Dip (gluten free, high protein) please leave me a rating and review on this blog post. This is the best way to support me!
For another delicious cottage cheese dip recipe check out my friend Krista's recipe.
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
French Onion Cottage Cheese Dip (gluten free, high protein)
- 1 tablespoon of oil with a high smoke point I used avocado
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion - diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar helps with caramelization of onions
- 1 ½ cups cottage cheese I used a 16 oz container of good culture
- ¼ cup unsweetened greek or coconut yogurt I used Cocojune coconut
- juice from ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives sub ½ tablespoon dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley sub ½ tablespoon dried
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Add oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sugar. Cook for 5 minutes and then reduce to medium low. Cook for 20-40 more minutes, stirring occasionally. If the onions start to stick to the pan, add water. The finished onions should be jammy, sweet and golden. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add cottage cheese, yogurt, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Add cottage cheese mixture to a bowl along with onions, chives, lemon juice, and parsley. Mix together until smooth.
- Serve dip with your favorite sides and toppings.