Falafel Pita Sandwich
Falafel is one of my favorite foods ever. When I was in greece I ate endless amounts of falafel and it was amazing. However, falafel can sometimes be very gross. It can be overly greasy and fried or just mushy.
I've found the key to a great falafel is using dried and not canned chickpeas. This gives the falafel a nice crisp. I also love adding fresh herbs, spices and a little lemon to really make the falafel flavor pop. I served the falafels in a pita for this recipe but feel free to eat them in a salad or on their own!
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think in the comments!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 35 minutes
This makes enough falafel for 2-3 sandwiches
- 1 cup dry chickpeas - soaked in warm water for 6-24 hours
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ onion or 1 shallot
- ½ cup parsley or cilantro
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove - minced
+pita and lettuce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Blend together all falafel ingredients in a food processor. Form falafels on a lined sheet pan with about 2 tablespoon mixture per falafel.
- Bake falafels for 25 minutes.
- While falafels are cooking make your yogurt sauce by mixing all sauce ingredients.
- Stuff pitas with falafel, sauce and lettuce.
Leave a Reply