This savory & crispy oven baked tofu is the best tofu recipe ever! Tofu is kind of controversial. I totally get it because some tofu is straight up disgusting. If it is not prepared properly it can be flavorless and mushy. But like any food, it can be made amazing with the right preparation and flavors.
This crispy tofu can convert almost any tofu hater. My secret to getting a good crisp is using arrowroot starch or cornstarch. In addition soy sauce, spice and yeast combo makes the tofu so flavorful. I could eat a block of this crispy tofu plain!
- tofu - Tofu is the base for our crispy tofu.
- avocado oil - avocado oil is my favorite cooking oil.
- soy Sauce - Soy sauce adds umami flavor.
- nutritional yeast - Nutritional yeast adds more umami flavor and helps to crisp up the recipe.
- paprika - Paprika adds flavor.
- garlic powder - Garlic powder adds flavor.
- arrowroot starch or cornstarch - This is key to crisp up the tofu.
- avocado oil - can be subbed with sesame oil or canola oil.
- soy sauce - can be subbed with liquid aminos
- nutritional yeast - can be subbed with half the amount of more starch.
Toss together tofu with starch, spices and oil.
Bake the tofu.
Serve with your favorite toppings and sides.
The leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in your fridge for up to two days.
Frequently asked questions
Tofu is made out of soy beans.
Yes tofu is full of protein and vitamins and minerals. It is also a complete protein source!
I love making tofu crispy. To me this is what makes it taste the best.
Recipe Pro Tips
Do not skip out on the starch for this recipe. This is KEY to making the tofu crispy!
The longer you cook the tofu the crispier it will get.
Other yummy tofu recipes
If you try this savory & crispy oven baked tofu please leave me a rating and review, this is the best way to support me!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
Savory and crispy oven baked tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or other neutral oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon arrowroot starch/powder or cornstarch
- pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add tofu to a bowl and toss with all ingredients. I recommended shaking the tofu to get it fully coated in the starched and spices.
- Bake tofu on a lined sheet pan for 30-35 minutes or until desired level of crispness is reached.
- Eat tofu alone, or add to whatever you want!