One of the most common questions I get on IG is what equipment I use. Personally I go with a less is more approach and keep it basic with solid essentials. This works well for me and I am very happy with all of the software and equipment I currently have. Let's get into the details!
Some people have tons of photography equipment but I don't think every food blogger needs that. Most people are fine with a camera and tripod.
- Camera: I upgraded to a dslr camera this year and I can not recommend it enough. I use a Canon 250d with canon 50mm lense . Please note you don't need a professional camera to start but I think it is a worthwhile investment!
- Tripods: I only use tripods for videos or if I want to take a picture of myself. For pictures of myself I use this tripod which I like because it came with a bluetooth remote. For food videos I use this tripod which is more heavy duty. Previously I used this tripod for food videos which is a good cheaper option for overhead style videos.
Other Photography Essentials
I am very simplistic with my props. I don't believe that you need a lot, but a few good quality ones really make a difference.
- Props: I rotate between two big pasta/ramen bowls for most of my dishes. I also have two smaller soup bowls, a larger dish and a side dish. Other items I use regularly are linen napkins, nice utensils, pinch bowls and a serving board.
- Backdrop: A backdrop is absolutely essential unless you have a beautiful well lit kitchen, and even then you probably still want one. I like this brand as it wipes clean easily and doesn't stain.
Please do not edit your pictures and videos directly in the instagram app you will give yourself a headache.
- Photo editing: I use lightroom to edit my pictures and this is pretty standard amongst influencers/food bloggers. For ease I edit on the mobile app. The mobile app is free unless you want to edit raw photos.
- Video editing: I use the inshot app to edit all of my food videos and I love it. It is very user friendly and only $15 a year.
I hope this was helpful to you. If you are looking for more instagram growth and monetization information I recommend checking out my ebook.