Eggplant is my least favorite vegetable. 99% of the time I will not eat it and would rather leave it out of recipes. Ratatouille typically features eggplant, but I like it much better without it. Hence why this chickpea ratatouille is sans eggplant. We are reaching the end of summer and I am so sad about it but this Vegan Chickpea Ratatouille Without Eggplant is a great way to use up the rest of the summer produce.
This chickpea ratatouille is a super easy ratatouille recipe. All you need is one pot and less than 15 ingredients. Chickpeas are not typically included in ratatouille but I added them in for extra plant protein. This recipe makes a few servings so it would also be a great meal prep option.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's is a one pot recipe - meaning it is super easy to make
- Eggplant haters rejoice, this ratatouille does not have any!
- It is vegan, vegetarian, higher in protein and gluten free!
- bell pepper
- red pepper flakes
- nutritional yeast
- tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
Add vegetables to the pan and cook.
Add all remaining ingredients to the pan and simmer.
Serve with your favorite toppings and sides and dig in!
Store the extra ratatouille in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 2 days.
Is this recipe traditional?
This is not a traditional ratatouille recipe, but it is inspired by ratatouille.
- Chickpeas - can be subbed with white beans
- Basil - can be subbed with parsley
Other easy vegan recipes to try
If you make this Vegan Chickpea Ratatouille Without Eggplant let me know what you think in the comments!
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
Chickpea Ratatouille Without Eggplant
- ½ onion - finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 zucchini - diced
- 1 red bell pepper - diced
- 1 cup basil - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano or thyme
- pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes or 2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 1 can chickpeas - drained
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, zucchini and pepper to the pan. Cook for 5 more minutes. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 or so minutes, until everything is cooked through.
- Serve ratatouille with toasted sourdough or your favorite grain.