This Roasted Tomato and White Bean Stew with Farro is my new favorite cozy meal. The roasted tomatoes really take this soup to the next level. This stew is completely vegan but you would never guess it - it is so flavorful. They get sweet and caramelized in the oven. The farro and white beans also give this soup the perfect texture.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It is healthy for you and packed with plant protein, fiber and iron.
- No more suffering in the cold, this is the perfect cozy recipe.
- It is pretty budget friendly.
- It is pretty easy to make and can be ready in 30 minutes.
- It is vegan, vegetarian and can be made gluten free.
Ingredients for vegan roasted tomato and white bean stew
- olive oil
- white bean
- vegetable broth
- italian seasoning
- nutritional yeast
- kale or spinach
- white beans - can be subbed with chickpeas.
- basil - can be subbed with parsley.
- farro - can be subbed with rice or barley. Quinoa absorbs a lot of liquid so I do not suggest using quinoa.
- nutritional yeast - nutritional yeast can be omitted or subbed with parmesan.
- Roast your tomatoes.
- Cook onions and garlic in a large pot. Add all other ingredients except kale and cook through.
- Mix in tomatoes once they are done cooking.
- Lastly fold in kale until wilted.
No farro has gluten in it. To make this soup gluten free use rice.
Nutritional yeast adds umami cheesy flavor and also adds a tiny bit of flavor. Leaving it out will not make or break the recipe but parmesan would be a good substitute.
The white beans and farro both provide protein.
To save time, you can cook the stew while the tomatoes are roasting and add them in at the very end. However, this will make the stew less flavorful.
Everyone likes a different stew consistency, feel free to play around with the amount of broth you use.
The extra stew can be stored in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 5 days.
OTHER COZY RECIPES TO TRY
If you make this Roasted Tomato and White Bean Stew with Farro please leave me a rating and review! This is the best way to support me.
Tag me on Instagram so I can repost you!
roasted tomato and white bean stew with farro
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 10 oz containers of cherry tomatoes
- 1 small onion - finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 can white beans - drained
- ½ cup farro or sub another grain, cooking time will vary
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth I used 2 but I like a thicker stew
- juice from ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup basil - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning or ½ teaspoon oregano + ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 4 cups finely chopped kale or spinach
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add tomatoes and olive oil to a baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until the tomatoes have started to burst.
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add beans, farro, vegetable broth, basil, lemon and spices to the pot. Stir to combine. If your tomatoes are done cooking, add them in now.* Bring to a simmer and cook until farro is soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add kale to the pot and stir until wilted.
- Serve soup with your favorite sides. I recommend sourdough.