Lentil Soup (vegan, gluten free)
I love lentil soup, I could eat bowls and bowls of it. There are many lentil soup recipes but I think mine is something special.
This lentil soup is one of my favorite soups ever. Although I eat it year around, it is so perfect for fall weather. Warming spices and umami flavors make this soup so comforting and cozy. The key to making this soup the best lentil soup ever is the coconut milk. The coconut milk makes the broth rich and creamy, plus adds nourishing healthy fats. If you don't like coconut milk don't worry, it is completely masked in this recipe by all of the other flavors. This soup is also nutritionally rich, it is packed with vitamins from the veggies and protein from the lentils. It is sure to leave you fully satisfied and nourished.
If you are looking for a great meal prep recipe, this lentil soup is perfect for you. It makes 4-5 servings so it can be reheated throughout the week. Just store the leftovers in a container in your refrigerator for up to a week.
Give this lentil soup a go, I know you will love it. If you do remake this recipe please give me a tag on instagram so I can repost you! Also I would so appreciate a rating and review this really helps SEO for my blog.
This makes a large pot of soup, approximately 4-5 servings
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 carrots finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 can diced tomatoes (~15 ounce can)
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch cayenne (optional but I like my soup spicy)
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning blend
- juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp culinary vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional but helps with flavor)
- ½ cup (1 bunch) finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 bunch kale - finely chopped or shredded
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Saute onions, garlic, carrots and celery for 6 minutes. If using instant pot use the saute function for 6 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the kale and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until lentils are cooked through. If you are using the instant pot cook on high pressure for 15 minutes and let the instant pot natural release for 10 minutes. Once soup is done cooking stir kale into your soup until wilted.
- Serve with desired toppings (I like coconut yogurt and pumpkin seeds).